So, I just became President of my son’s Home and School Association. It was another case of I saw a need and jumped in to help. Plus, I love taking ideas to reality. I am really at my best when I am starting, launching, and leaving organizations better than I found it. And if I have the chance to learn something, I’m really in 7th heaven! So while I am CEO of Customer 1st Marketing and have led many projects and volunteered at my son’s school, I have never been in a leadership position at the school so I am loving this new adventure!
She Laughed At Me
When I spoke to my friend, after I spoke to her about the amount of work, she laughingly reminded me of the quote “If you want something done…”
This is so true. Today, I have a full client roster (Happiness)! I am raising a teenager who is determined to prove that he’s smarter than everyone (Please!) and a few volunteer commitments that somehow keep growing in scope! And did I mention the normal friends and family commitments that keep all mompreneurs busy?
The Benefits of Being Busy
But yet, I wake up every day with a smile on my face and sleep soundly every night. I wrote about the power of giving back and its restorative power before but for the entrepreneur being busy has many, many benefits beyond giving back. Taking on volunteer commitments:
- Keeps you organized
- Helps you set priorities for the day, week, month and on
- Adds new skills to your abilities
- Increases your confidence
- Spurs your creative juices
- Test out new ideas
- Expands your network
- You’re more productive
- Test your leadership skills
- Really tests your ability to say “NO” (This is especially important to women.)
- And I’m sure there are more. Let me know by listing them in the comments section.
I do recommend that if you are going to add another obligation to your day that you choose one that is you are passionate about or fits into your business strategy. You don’t want to burnout, neglect your business and you want to ensure that you are enjoying life.
So yes, in this age of always being on and the need to take a break from our smart devices, adding another item to the top do list may seem crazy. But for those of us like Lucille Ball, Benjamin Franklin, mompreneurs and the rest of living the entrepreneur life, being busy is a fact. And this is not necessarily a bad thing if we practice a healthy, wealthy and wise lifestyle. That is we need to practice balance, take time out to laugh, align our volunteering with the goals business or your passion. After all, my goal for all of us is to enjoy this entreprenuerial journey we are on.
Happy Volunteering in 2020!
Here are a few places I volunteer that need your financial assistance and/or your time:
- Georgia Hope Inc. – A non-profit and adoption agency in Conyers, GA. https://www.georgiahopeinc.org/
- Eager to Serve, Inc. – Eager To Serve, Inc. (ETS) was established in 1990 to promote, foster and advance the health, welfare and well being of children and families. https://www.countryclubdaycamp.org/
- Mothers of Black Boys, Inc. (MOBB United) – Moms of Black Boys United is an organization focused on providing information and support. We promote positive images of Black boys and men with the goal of influencing policy impacting how Black boys and men are treated and perceived by law enforcement and society. https://www.mobbunited.org/default.aspx
- Hill Freedman World Academy Home and School Association – Our common goal is to increase parent awareness, build our school environment, and cultivate a community of scholars through valuable and engaging educational resources. https://hfwa-hsa.weeblysite.com/home